Thursday 6 February 2014

THE LITTLE GREAT MAN


    I met Antonino on the net. He was one of the many fellows I had met along the years. In many cases I had tried to settle a serious relationship with some of them, but it had always been unsuccessful. Instead, Antonino looked quite an interesting person, his likes and my likes were quite similar, so I thought we could get along well. Why not to try?, I thought.
    We got a date on a cloudy day. I myself chose the place for the meeting. It was a classic cafe by the harbour. A nice place I liked. I had thought he could have cheated as for his profile picture, as many other people do, but fortunately he hadn't. I recognised him as soon as he came through the door. However, he was much shorter than I had imagined. I am some 1,70 metres tall, but he was around 1,55 m. tall. I didn't like it, but I couldn't get away immediately, so I decided to spend the rest of the evening with him.
    Despite my initial prejudices, I found Antonino even much more amazing than I had expected. After having a coffee together, he suggested we should have dinner somewhere else. He knew a Japanese restaurant on the other side of the harbour. I accepted willingly, since I was really enjoying myself.
    As we were leaving the cafe, it began to rain, but rather than rain, it seemed a deluge. Antonino's reaction was then unexpected. He set to swear in a quite unpleasant way. He refused to leave the cafe threshold.
    "Don't worry, I've got an umbrella", I said trying to calm him down.
    "That's no guarantee I won't get wet", he insisted, his tone even more unpleasant.
    Anyway I kept on insisting to make for the Japanese restaurant. Antonino would probably realize he was transmitting quite a negative impression of himself, so he accepted my offer and walked by me under the umbrella. But he couldn't avoid getting wet, which made him grudge the whole way until the restaurant. When we were inside, he rushed into the bathroom to get dry. Later he joined me at the table. He was changed... someway. I couldn't say how he was different, but he was. He took a seat in front of me and began to read the menu. Suddenly I realized how he was different. He was shorter then, maybe some five centimetres. Then I understood why he was so furious with the rain, which he avoided at all costs; the water had a strange effect upon him: whenever he got wet, he shrank, like a woolen pullover.

Frantz Ferentz, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment